The barracks were built between 1717 and 1721 by Nicholas Hawksmoor for the Board of Ordnance to protect the town during the Jacobite risings. The work, which involved two parallel blocks of military accomodation, was supervised by Captain Thomas Phillips. An additional block was added between 1739 and 1741. After the Napoleonic Wars, the barracks were abandoned but put back into use in the 1850s.
The barracks became the depot of the King's own Scottish Borderers in 1881. Since 1963 the barracks are maintained by english Heritage.
Do not miss the King's Own Scottish Borderers MUseum and the Berwick Museum and Art Gallery
Built for a dashing young Scottish laird, Patrick Home of Billie, in 1758 on a ridge overlooking the majestic River Tweed, Paxton House is one of the finest 18th century Palladian country houses in Britain. On view are 12 period rooms, many boasting interiors by Robert Adam and the finest collections of furniture by Thomas Chippendale including the unique star-backed chairs in the lady's bedroom. There are also exquisite Regency period Scottish furniture, designed by William Trotter of Edinburgh. The House was extended in 1811 by George Home, 16th Laird of Wedderburn, to include the largest purpose built picture gallery in a Scottish Country House, in which are now housed over 70 paintings from the National Galleries of Scotland.
A large mellow Georgian house most of which dates from the early 18th century. Victorian alterations and additions were carried out by William Burn in 1851. Most of the victorian additions were demolished during the mid 20th century.
The house is set within and outstanding designated English garden style late 18th to 19th century ands landscape which sp0ans to valley of Leet Water. The landscape comprises informal parkland, woodland and a large artificial lake (Hirsel Lake) and a late 19th century rhododendron and azalea woodland garden, Dundock Wood.
The visitors have access to the Homestead Centre and Museum of the Country Life, the Tea Room, Craft Workshop, Pottery and the different walks which are open to the public all year.
Etal Castle:In 1341, Robert Manners was granted a licence to fortify his home to protect it against the threat of attack from Scottish raiders. In 1513, when an army of 30,000 Scots led by James IV invaded England, Etal Castle fell, but these invaders were then defeated in the bloody battle that ensued on Flodden Hill. An award-winning exhibition tells the story of the Battle of Flodden and of the border warfare that existed here before the union of the English and Scottish crowns in 1603.
Ford Castle:The castle dates from about 1278. It was rebuilt and refortified in the 16th century. It was taken by James IV of Scotland after the battle of Flodden in 1513. After passing from family to family during the years, it was acquired by James Joicey, 1st Baron Joicey, in 1907 and it remains in the ownership of his family, although since 1956 it has been leased to Northumberland County Council as a Young Person's Residential Centre.